The following terms and clauses - wherever mentioned herein - shall have the meanings set forth to them, unless the context requires otherwise:
Arrangements: Regulatory arrangements for the General Authority of Exhibitions and Conventions
Authority: the General Authority for Exhibitions and Conventions.
Board: the Authority's Board of Directors.
Chairman: The Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Exhibitions and conventions: Exhibitions, conferences, seminars, forums, assemblies, lectures, institutional meetings, meetings of societies, international organizations, training courses and workshops held outside the usual workplace, and auctions held by the private sector and the non-profit sector.
The Authority has legal personality and financial and administrative independence, and is organizationally affiliated to the Prime Minister, and its headquarters will be in Riyadh. It may establish branches or offices within the Kingdom as needed.
The Authority aims to develop the exhibitions and conventions sector with all its elements, components, capabilities, organization, development, to work to enhance its role in the national economy, increase its effectiveness, and overcome obstacles to its growth; in accordance with international best practices. The Authority may carry out the following includes, but is not limited to:
1. Issuing the necessary approvals to the government agencies for holding the exhibitions and conventions.
2. Issuing the necessary licenses to non-governmental entities for holding exhibitions and conventions.
3. Control all activities that fall within the exhibitions and conventions sector.
4. Coordinating with the relevant authorities in relation to encouraging investment in the exhibitions and conventions sector, and providing incentives and related information.
5. Working to bring the Kingdom out as an attractive destination for exhibitions and conventions, in coordination with the relevant authorities.
6. Qualifying the national cadres in the field of exhibitions and conventions, in addition to training and developing them.
7. Working to attract international exhibitions and conventions, developing and supporting local exhibitions and conventions, and creating exhibitions and conventions that reflect the Kingdom's identity.
8. Providing technical support to government agencies when holding exhibitions and conventions outside the Kingdom.
9. Cooperating with government agencies and similar entities in other countries, and participating in international organizations and associations in relation to its competencies, in accordance with the regular procedures.
10. Representing the Kingdom in international assemblies related to its competencies.
11. Preparing studies and researches related to the exhibitions and conventions sector.
The Board is the dominant authority in managing the affairs of the Authority, and takes all the necessary decisions to achieve its goals. In particular, it carries out what follows:
In order to achieve these terms of reference, the Board may form permanent or temporary committees from its members or third parties, entrusting them with what it deems necessary. The decision to form each committee shall include its chairman, members and powers, and the committees may seek the assistance of those it deems necessary to perform the duties entrusted thereto.
The Board may also delegate some of its powers to the chairman or to any of its members.
The authority shall have a CEO who is appointed in and exempted from its position by a decision of the Board, and the appointment decision shall determine his wages and financial benefits, and he is responsible for managing the affairs of the authority, and his responsibilities are concentrated within the limits of what is stipulated in the arrangements and what the Board decides, and he assumes the following powers and duties:
3.Supervising the preparation of the draft of exhibitions and conventions industry strategy and submitting it to the Board.
The CEO may delegate some of his powers and duties to whom he wishes of the Authority’s employees.
Without prejudice to the terms of reference of the General Auditing Bureau to monitor the Authority's accounts and transactions, the Board appoints an external auditor (or more) whom are authorized to work in the Kingdom, to audit its accounts, documents, data, annual budget and balance sheet. The Board shall determine its fees. The report of the auditor shall be submitted to the Board, with submitting a copy thereof to the General Auditing Bureau.
The Authority's employees are subject to the provisions of the Labor Law and the Social Insurance Law.
The Board prepares a regulatory draft for the Authority in light of what is stated in the arrangements, and what it sees appropriate in this regard, and submits it within a period not exceeding twelve months as of the approval date of the arrangements to complete the legal procedures in this regard.